The Reading Obsession

Reviews of Fiction Books: Everything from Young Adult Romance to Crime Thrillers

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass - Lewis Carroll So I finally read it. After reading Splintered,  I was expecting something more darker and with other characters. I was also hoping that Alice wouldn't be an idiot. Sadly, I was disappointed on all accounts.Just because Alice is seven or something doesn't mean she has to be annoying. That was my main problem with this book: I didn't like Alice. Carol may have been trying to capture the innocence of children, but children can be innocent without acting ignorantly.I also didn't like the way the plot developed. It was very hazy and hard to understand. Alice would go to this place, and then forget about it. Then she'd go to another place, all throughout the novel. She'd figure out one problem, but then forget how to solve it in the next chapter.This ending is one of the most cliche endings of all time, and I think it started with this book. It was probably a huge surprise in the nineteenth or twentieth century, but for me, it was boring.Carol described things in the most limited way possible. I don't know how, but he seemed to make it work.It was like Carol gave just enough information for a reader to know what he was talking about, but left all the details to imagination. I feel like this will be a hit or miss for many readers, but I liked it.Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is one of the classics that won't make you fall asleep while reading them, so if you don't mind annoying main characters and backwards logic, you should definitely pick this up.

A Kiss of Shadows